It is a fact that there is a greater social awareness of improving general physical condition than a few years ago; However, it is also true that this new concern for our body leads us to set goals and draw strategies to achieve them that are not always healthy and can even lead to problems. In this sense, any personal trainer in Barcelona , being one of the cities where the most sports competitions are held, will be able to confirm how the demand for muscle hypertrophy has grown. But what is it and what does it entail?
Index of contents
- What is muscle hypertrophy?
- What types of muscle hypertrophy are there?
- How to avoid damaging muscle hypertrophy?
What is muscle hypertrophy?
Muscle hypertrophy is the increase in the size of muscle fibers and, therefore, of the muscle itself. In fact, the most common symptoms experienced during the hypertrophy process are the following:
- Tension in the muscle fibers.
- Inflammation (related to the use of hormones).
- Appearance of micromuscular lesions.
It is very common in those athletes who practice sports modalities such as bodybuilding or weightlifting, but as you have seen in the list that we have just presented to you, this image of hyper-developed muscles is not always linked to good health and good musculature.
Hypertrophy involves more muscle, but also more weight, therefore, to achieve this aspect, the most common practices are:
- Increased dietary protein intake.
- Consumption of food supplements.
- Physical training.
- Hormone use.
- Age (the greatest muscular development occurs in adolescence).
What types of muscle hypertrophy are there?
Increasing the size and volume of muscles is not something that is negative or harmful; in fact, beyond bodybuilding competitions, hypertrophy also allows us to improve our general physical condition and develop greater muscular strength if we feel weak and want to improve our ability to act, even to carry out tasks typical of our daily lives.
However, the problem is not found in the objective, but in the way until we reach that goal. And it is depending on that path where we find two different types of muscle hypertrophy to develop:
- Physiological muscle hypertrophy : the increase in muscles is obtained through training and muscle development exercises.
- Pathological muscle hypertrophy : the increase in muscle is linked either to the development of diseases such as Kochern syndrome, or to the use of steroids and anabolics.
As you can imagine, it is in the case of pathological muscular hypertrophy when we develop problems for our health.
How to avoid damaging muscle hypertrophy?
To achieve our goal of improving our general physical condition and our muscles in particular, it is necessary that we follow a series of exercises and guidelines that in a balanced way allow us to achieve our goal without exceeding certain limits or borders.
In this sense, in addition to having professional advice from specialists in sports and health, we must comply with the following aspects:
- Healthy and balanced diet . It is important to respect the adequate supply of nutrients to develop muscle hypertrophy without changing other values.
- Carry out sports routines without overexertion and where the muscle groups to work are varied to avoid overload.
- Respect the breaks of our body . We must alternate the days of rest and activity, keeping at least two days a week for muscle recovery.
- Avoid consuming vitamin supplements .
Exercising is extremely beneficial for our health, but taking this practice to the extreme incorrectly can spoil our muscles. We can not exercise in any way, we must take into account what is the training and the right way to achieve each goal with health.